Jalchatra Hospital was built by Christian missionary sisters in 1951-52 in the Madhupur Forest to serve as a shelter home (leprosarium) for Leprosy patients, who were expelled from their communities. In 1952, the Leprosarium was officially opened and in 1972 it was taken over by the Damien Foundation (DF).
Leprosy services in greater Mymensingh region (6 districts) were provided from the Jalchatra Hospital. Later on, two additional hospitals (one in Mymensingh and the other in Netrokona) were built and the area were split into three projects. Tangail TB & Leprosy Control Project, based at Jalchatra hospital covers 3 districts namely Tangail, Jamalpur and Sherpur.
This project supports 34 combined TB & Leprosy Clinics under Tangail and Jamalpur districts with a population of about 6.6 million. In Sherpur district, (5 upazilas, 1.4 million population), Damien Foundation provides leprosy services only. Export Processing Zone (DEPZ, an industrial area) is also supported by Damien Foundation.
The 95-bedded Jalchatra Hospital serves as a referral hospital for complicated Tuberculosis (including MDR TB) & Leprosy patients for this and other DF projects namely Rajshahi and Faridpur projects. General diagnostic and therapeutic services are also provided through the outpatient department of the hospital. Also, there is a residential training center on the hospital campus which is used for several types of training for staff. The project laboratory has been functioning for FDA staining & slide culture DST (Drug Susceptibility Testing) since 2008. GeneXpert machinel since 2012. This rapid diagnostic technology is being gradually installed in all upazilas of the project by the National TB Programme.
P.O.-Jalchatra 1996, P.S-Madhupur, District- Tangail